Ectropion and Entropion Surgery

  • Related keywords: ectropion, entropion, , eyelashes, vision loss
  • Date: 19 Apr 2017
  • Who applies for funding: General Practitioner (GP), Consultant (CONS)

Referral Route:

Criteria Based Access (CBA)

If the patient demonstrably meets the specific criteria for treatment, the patient can be referred directly via the appropriate Referral Service with a standard referral letter. If the patient does not meet the criteria for treatment then a referral can be made to the Individual Funding Request Panel but only if there is clear evidence that the patient’s clinical circumstances or condition are exceptional, i.e. there is something about the patient’s condition or circumstances that differentiate them on the basis of need from other patients with a similar diagnosis or condition and would justify funding being provided in an individual case when it is not routinely funded for others. Funding requests from GP Practices can be accepted from Senior Clinicians, salaried GPs, Locum GPs or Practice Partners. Unfortunately we are unable to accept funding applications from other health professionals unless countersigned by a senior clinician or GP.

If you would like this policy in a different language or need it in another format, such as Braille, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 073 0907 or 0117 947 4477.

Ectropion is where the lower lid droops away from the eye and turns outwards. Most cases of ectropion are associated with ageing. They usually occur as the tissues and muscles of the eyelids become weaker as you get older. Less common causes of ectropion include facial paralysis such as Bell’s palsy.

Entropion occurs when the eyelid turns inwards towards the eye. The lower lid is most commonly affected although it can rarely affect the upper lid. Entropion causes the eyelashes to rub against the front of the eye (the cornea). Severe entropion can be painful and cause vision loss by damaging the cornea. Occasionally, a corneal ulcer can form and become infected.

Cover for Policy for Ectropion and Entropion Surgery

Policy for Ectropion and Entropion Surgery

Cover for Individual Funding Request (IFR) Application form

Individual Funding Request (IFR) Application form

This form must be completed when applying for treatments that are not normally commissioned by Bristol CCG. Please refer to the Interventions Not Normally Funded List (INNF) before making an application.